Thursday, September 29, 2005

Day 8

So I didn't actually get around to going to the Pompidou yesterday. Well, I went, but just to the library for a place to sit down and try to plan out the next section of my trip. I think I want to leave early Sunday morning and go to Versailles. I don't know how long I really need there. If its cool as just an actual day day trip I'm going to leave Monday or possibly even overnight Sunday for Madrid. I'm glad I've gotten to spend so much time in London and Paris... but I'm starting to want a faster pace. The thing is that Versailles is closed on Mondays... so I may end up staying in France as long as Wednesday if I can't work it out. The other option is staying most of the day in Paris Sunday (maybe trying the Louvre again--its free and I'm sure crowded the first Sunday of the month)go to Versailles, do nothing (which I have found myself extremely skilled at) on Monday,see all Tuesday and take the overnight Tuesday to Madrid. Hmmmm.
So I actually spent my day doing a Paris shopping round. But not buying of course. I'm not sure what I should get as a "souvenier" from Paris. Maybe just a sweater, I'm practical and it's cold. They have a HUUUUUGE store named BHV where they have EVERYTHING. No, I'm serious: literally everything (except the prementioned not-sold-in-France). Eight gigantic floors. Like Walmart except they make you no "low price" promises. I was particularly taken by the bedroom furniture on top. They had bedsets that you raise the bed in the morning and your living room is underneath. It's very James Bond. Saves space AND yeah, it just looks cool.
Yesterday I tried to make Southern Biscuits for Val. Sort of a test run for dinner. They were brown and heavy and were ok. But only slightly resembled biscuits. I blame the flour and the lack of baking powder. Oh yes, and cup measurements. Ha. Anyway she taught me to make French Vingarette. 4 spoons of olive oil. 2-3 spoons of Balsalmic Vinegar. Half a spoon of dijon mustard. It was good. Then she gave me an introductory course in popular French music. Sinclair, M, Emilie Simon, Ennio Morricone. And I made her listen to Dolly Parton. She had never heard of her! Still it was probably unfair. She wanted to listen to country and I only approve of a sacred few.
I went to see "Broken Flowers" with Bill Murray and French subtitles last night. I haven't really made up my mind about it yet. It was an independent I think... and I'm pretty sure they ran out of money before they could finish it. It was an "I'm sorry...what?" movie. You think its about to get to the climax and it ends. And then you're left bewildered and feeling a little taken in as the credits role. I guess I just don't appreciate an artsy film. Plus I still think Bill Murray's last defining role was in Ghostbusters. But nonetheless I'm glad I went. I'm saving the next cinema trips for The Corpse Bride in October, Harry Potter in November, and The Narnia Series in December. Any suggestions on my Spanish reading?

2 Comments:

At 9/29/2005 9:26 AM, Blogger Cath said...

Here are my thoughts on Versailles... I found the huge palace part incredibly disappointing for several reasons. First, it was craptastically crowded. Huge hordes of kids. Filled up almost every room we went through. Second, We had very little time to spend there... Third, the only thing I really wanted to see, the Hall of Mirrors, was closed. CLOSED. The mirrors were all covered! It was just like walking down any other hallway. GAH. On the upside, the Petit Trianon (Mme Pompidou's house) was interesting (and they were filming a movie there at the time, and we saw Kirsten Dunst, score) and then if you follow the path behind the house, you'll get to le Hameau (the Hamlet), a little village that was bought for Marie Antoinette to visit when she wanted to play at being a peasant. A milkmaid, I think. So not kidding. But it was beautiful!

Anyway, have fun! I'm incredibly jealous you're there and I'm here. :P

 
At 9/29/2005 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVED Versailles, what a whole different world that era was. But, like your previous commenter, I would hate the crowds, too. We were there before things got too crowded. I also hate that crowds are now so bad at the Grand Canyon -- people can't even drive through. I'm glad that you are leaving room for flexibility in your schedule -- sounds like a perfect blend of sight-seeing and experiencing the culture! Love you muchly! Take care, keep up the interesting posts and have a great time! Aunt Jan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home