Saturday, September 24, 2005

Day 3 Pareee!

Well after two spectacular days of weather (I even read my book in a park with tens of sunbathing seniors) Paris has gone cloudy. But today was actually my best day so far for sightseeing because Valentine had the day off and was able to come be my personal French guide and translater. Unfortunately, I won't be so lucky most of the time because she has class and work. But today I lived as a true Frenchman... well except for the beret, the tiny dog, and all the cigerettes. I'll tell you the real reason French women don't get fat: they are chain smokers from birth. This is the truth and the only French stereotype I support. Today we went to the Pompido Center, the Museum of Modern art is in there (which I plan to go to later) and also a fantastic library with a ridiculous amount of new computers PLUS an area where you can watch TV from ANYWHERE. It's very cool and intend on going back when I can spend more time. We also went to the Hotel de Ville which houses the mayor of Paris. They had an exhibit on Hiroshima which was horrifying, of course. In the building was a statue of Romulus and Remus almost identical to the one in Rome (my Rome, I told Valentine). The exhibit was in French so I mostly looked at the pictures and made an oragami bird for peace. A French man coached me through the entire thing... I didn't understand a word he said. Also a random cartoonist off the street told me I have a "Danish nose". What this means I don't know, but I'm terribly offended none the less. We ate flan. And though it actually tastes quite good, the terrible one Lisette made in high school hit the texture dead on. Good effort, Lisette. There is a Festival of the "jardins" Gardens near Notre Dame. When we got to it the outside band was playing "Georgia on Mind"... I had no idea how universal that song is... also "Sweet Home Alabama". I left them a tip simply for being familiar. We walked most of the rest of the day seeing the outsides of alot of famous places. I had been to most of them... but I was wandering and didn't manage to put the layout of the land together. So it was nice today. Later I had €4 water with Valentine and her friend Maude. Then we went and visited her brother, JeanBaptiste and his roommate,Solenne. We stayed there a long time. Val had to translate for me a lot. Solenne's friend tried to teach me French. C'est la vie. I've eaten heaps of quiche lately and probably will come back very fat. I have FREE internet at Valentine's! Honestly, lodging and internet are no doubt my two biggest expenses. So this is heaven.
Bon Soir!

7 Comments:

At 9/24/2005 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9/24/2005 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9/24/2005 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, the spammers have already put two comments on before I could get mine up!

It sounds like a great day!! As I have said on several occasions: I am so jealous!! It sounds like Valentine has been a big help. Tell her your parents say "thanks"!

143
Pop

 
At 9/24/2005 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! For the record, I resent the public critism of my cooking. It's a complicated dish and I have more successful in other attempts to make it. . . .and it's more than you ever tried! So there! just kidding! Glad you are having a good time. It's good to have a friend in Paris. Things are well here. Miss you and love reading your blog!

 
At 9/24/2005 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful to hear from you! Don't take up smoking!
Je t'aime! (I think that is how Lillian spelled it)

Love, Mom

 
At 9/24/2005 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Direct TV Receivers has created a programming service specifically driven to offer customers more choice and value for their entertainment dollar. Check out My site on Direct TV Receivers

 
At 9/24/2005 7:59 PM, Blogger Joan said...

WOW! What a great day! I think I have said this before, but I am enjoying your travels vicariously -- and immensely. Continue to take care of yourself and enjoy every minute. We love and miss you. Aunt Joan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home