Thursday, September 22, 2005

Day 1 in Paris

For all who were worried I DID find a place to stay last night at the "Young and Happy" hostel . I was, in fact, VERY happy to find it. Boarding the Eurostar at 1:45 for the "2.5 hour ride" (lies) I thought I would have plenty of time to find a room.
Though it was after 6 by the time we got to Paris it was still light outside and I was not worried. It was 8 by the time I got my Metro card and took the Subway to the center of town. When I finally managed to get OFF the Subway it was rapidly getting darker. I went to 3 hotels (all of which were full... well the last one I didn't even go in it was too expensive)and realized I had to get out of the center of town. I stopped at McDonald's (The first one I've been to so far-- I broke down and went to a Starbucks in Oxford) because I was starving to death, plus I had been carrying around my pack all day and it was starting to hurt. I had a small salad, medium potato wedges, and a small bottled water... which somehow came out to at least $7 American. But I have to say it was very satisfying and worth every penny. Euro-money is suspiciously designed almost identically to pounds. Which makes it seem sort of obnoxious that Britian pulled out on the whole euro currecy thing.
Anyway, my goal right now is to find my hostel for the next few nights. I liked the one I stayed in last night (though my room, of course, was on the top floor and I had a top bunk) and I would go back if they had a weekly rate. The neighborhood seems nice. I'm now an hour father away from you all (6 instead of 5). Must dash.

6 Comments:

At 9/22/2005 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm relieved to know you found lodging!! Don't hesitate to take a hotel room if you get in a bind.

Have a great day, Brannyroo.

143

Pop

 
At 9/22/2005 7:45 AM, Blogger Joan said...

Great to read your post this AM, Brannon. I thought of you several times yesterday and wondered how you were managing -- finding a hostel and settling in anew. Like your Dad we are all relieved you found lodging before too late in the day. Hope you have a great time in Paris. Take an extra look around for me!! (grin)
Love you. Aunt Joan

 
At 9/22/2005 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew! Now I can relax a little! Paris should be a completely different experience than London. I'm looking forward to hearing about it!
Love, Mom

 
At 9/22/2005 10:51 PM, Blogger Cath said...

Oh, I almost forgot to tell you. If you go to any actual restaurants (and not just the sidewalk kind of places) try to get tap water instead of bottled; it's just as good but cheaper. The places without table service will, of course, only have bottled.

Have fun! ^_^ Oh! And Becca's wedding is at 2:00.

 
At 9/23/2005 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Brannon! Glad u made it to ole Gay Paree!! Have fun! Be safe and watch out for French men! I hear they prey on pretty American girls! Haha! JK!! Love ya!!!
Meagan

 
At 9/23/2005 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brannon, I've been swamped lately and haven't had a chance to click in. It was great to read about all of your activities. Sounds like so much fun!!!! Thanks for taking the time to write these accounts; I love reading about what you are doing!!!

Aunt Janice

 

Post a Comment

<< Home