Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Day...13? or 14?

Yes, I believe it is exactly 2 weeks since I left Rome. I found cheap internet in Oxford (I could only use the free one for 15 minutes...boo!). So here I am. I went for a jog this morning. Ended up jogging with an Austrailian girl who is here working for most of it (it didn't last too long-- I'm out of shape). I sped up for her and she slowed down for me. Too bad I couldn't keep up-- might have made a day-friend. She told me to go eat Dan's Cookies (I think that was the name) in the Covered Market because they began in Oxford and are very tasty. So that's on the agenda. Last night I'm not proud to admit I hung out at Borders until it closed. I read half of "Through the Looking Glass" which is funny. I need to decide if I want to try "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" or give "The DaVinci Code" another go for my Paris book. Votes? I'm glad I didn't choose Les Misirables or Sartre-- they're monsterously huge. I'm about to head back to the hostel for a shower and to eat my spaghetti. I actually cooked last night for the first time in hostel. It wasn't too bad. And MUCH cheaper than eating out.
I made up for sleeping like a brick. Last night I couldn't get to sleep-- I think it was mostly not being able to get my mind to shut off.
I made a list of the best things to do in London in my head.
No particular order.
1. Go to all the "temporary" exhibits. They are much more focused and interesting than the ones that are up all the time. My favorites that I saw were "The Redgraves" and "Hans Christian Anderson" and the Environmental one. I sort of wish (now that I have no idea what it would have cost) that I had gone to see some of the pay ones (Most Photographed People...at the National Portrait Gallery; Frieda..at Tate Modern; and Dali...which I think may be up all the time-- I couldn't tell)
2. Go see a show on West End. And choose something particularly British.
3. Go to the Tower of London and take the free 30 minute Yeoman tour (but try to get a student ticket even if you're 45-- it's expensive!)
4. Take a walk down the River Thames.
5. Go to the National Film Theatre (and when they say "concessions?" they mean "are you a student or a senior?" I really thought I was going to get popcorn.)
6. Go to the Comedy Cafe (paricularly on Wednesday night-- when its free. Get cider and nachos and bring friends).
7. Go to Petticoat Lane Market on Sunday for souveniers.
8. Go to Hyde Park Speaker's Corner on Sunday as well.
9. Ride the bus and the Tube.
10. Go to the London Museum but don't stay too long. It smells funny.
If I think of anymore I'll let you know.

3 Comments:

At 9/20/2005 7:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bran, I recommend the finishing The DaVinci Code. It's a good thriller. I've never read "Hunchback" but I'd like to give it a try.
Love, Mom

 
At 9/20/2005 9:23 AM, Blogger Cath said...

Ok, so you wanted advice on Paris. Um... definitely go to the Latin (i.e., student) Quarter because it's interesting and probably cheaper. And you can visit our hotel there, the Claude Bernard. ^_^ Try to use your French whenever possible (bonjour, merci, pardon, s'il vous plait, etc) because I found people were a lot friendlier if you make an effort. I don't know about the rest of the country, but Paris being such a tourist town, we found that most people there were pretty nice and willing to work with you, and most people in the service industry will know at least a little English. Don't underestimate the power of pointing to what food you want if you can't pronounce it. :) I recommend checking out the Pompidou Centre, Musee Rodin, Hotel des Invalides, Ste. Chapelle, St. Denis, and if they're open, the Catacombs (they were closed when we were there in May). If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. :) Have a great time! I'm very jealous. ;)

 
At 9/21/2005 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the DaVinci code, so I will biasly suggest that one. What Cath says applies to Italy as well when you get there, and possibly much of the other countries you go to. I found that when I made an effort to speak the language the people were much nicer. Keep having fun.
~Asha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home