Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Day 8

I have offically been in London (not just away from home) for a full week.
Mary Poppins was AMAZING. The effects were terrific (Bert dances on the walls and ceiling and there must have been 3 different roofs that dropped ontop of one another). And it did a really good job of making the new songs fit in and changing it enough so that it can work in a live theatre setting and not making you too reminicent for the movie. I, of course, was 10 minutes late and apparently these British folks don't realize how fashionable it is to be late to the theatre and started it without me. I got in but Mary Poppins was already there. The things I missed from the movie were: The earthquake effect and the crazy man with a ship on top of his house, the floating "I love to laugh" part, and the mother's "sister suffragette" part (which there is a possibility I just missed but I dont think so). I was impressed and my "slightly diminished veiw" just meant that I was near the center where a think iron gate rose slightly into my sight line. So it wasn't so bad. The Dick Van Dyke role was done really well and the kids (I think they have 4 for each part) were fantastic. Really everyone was good-- there were no weak actors.
My 7-day Tube pass has expired so I am going to see how long I can make it just walking around. I missed a good chunk of my internet time this morning because I started talking to two girls from Germany, Jodi and Barbara, who I am meeting up with tonight to do something (maybe the comedy club). I also hope to make it to the Theatre Museum today since that was the only thing I didn't make off my agenda yesterday. Also, should I try to go see: The Woman in Black (classic London thriller that's been running for years) or The Woman in White (Andrew Lloyd Webbers new one... a Victorian chiller--strange I haven't heard many reviews)?
Tootles.

3 Comments:

At 9/14/2005 6:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so jealous! MP sounds great!

I have no opinion on the Black-White issue. :-)

I'm off to school. Have fun:be safe, today. Your old man wishes he were there!!!

6:43 a.m. Ga Time

143

Pop

 
At 9/14/2005 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What fun! I would love to see Mary Poppins. I actually read the books in my childhood.
Love, Mom

 
At 9/14/2005 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard alot about Mary Popppins from the Chorale when they went to London. I hate all of you for getting to see such a good show, while im stuck in the states and have no shows to see or be in. Well, that's not entirely true. I did get to see Justin in Chicago. It was pretty good. I am so happy to hear that you're still enjoying you're time in jolly old London, I can't wait to hear about Paris (it's on my must go to places) Honestly, your whole trip has been so inspirational that I might do the same thing once I'm out of college. Only I don't know if I'm gutsy enough to go it alone. Stay safe and don't stop having fun. Love you sweetie
Asha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home