Friday, September 16, 2005

Day 10

I'm in the Mac Store right now!!! You'd love it here Dad. And they let me get online for free --hurrah! So here's the post I wrote this morning but the library's fickle computer would not let me post.
side-note: SIX is my new total! I'm more London than tea!

Beautiful weather in London again thankfully. Yesterday was messy. I went to the Theatre Museum (all the museums smell the same here...creepy). They had an interesting exhibit on the Redgraves. I also went to see The Woman In Black (it was £5 cheaper than White). It was spooky. Just a dramatized ghost story... I don't think it would been quite the same without a bunch of silly girls up front who screamed (honestly, screamed) at anything. I had a cornish pasty yesterday (spicy vegetable). It wasn't particularly spicy... sort of bland but warm and therefore completely acceptable. I like how they have everything marked over here. Even stuff in the grocery has a little "V" on it and says "suitable for vegetarians". It's nice like that. America should try to be a little more vegetarian friendly. The other day I went by a really cool environmental exhibition (earth of the air? was the organization I think). I found Rome on their giant map of the world! We were on there-- and so was Cartersville...
Anyway they had a bunch of amazing oversized pictures on display. I'm thinking of becoming a vegetarian for ethical reasons (might as well). That way I'll have something to be condescending and lecturing about. Sometimes I forget there are such GOOD reasons to eat less/no meat. No more than the equivillent of one Chikfila Chargrilled Sandwich per day, that is the Heart Associations recommendation. I used this example in my persuasive speech last year. And red meat once or twice monthly I believe. Also it takes SO MUCH meal to fatten up animals for fattening up people who most certainly DO NOT need fattening (Americans) where as the countries who are producing the meal are starving. And of course its easier ecologically to grow plants than to grow animals (sort of feeds into the same statistic). Also they brought another point in the exhibit I thought worth a thought. They projected that the only real way to fight terrorism is to educate people (or get them to a state in which education is plausible) so that they might feel confident thinking for themselves and not become easy pawns for extremists(Muslim, Christian, or otherwise). Maybe I will go into the Peace Corps.
Today I am going to Regent's Park and Hamley's Toys.

3 Comments:

At 9/16/2005 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vegitarianism rules!!!!

For further reading on the HORRIBLE wastefulness of the North, read STOLEN HARVEST by Vandana Shiva.... I'll let you borrow it when you get back :-)

haha

oh, me!

 
At 9/16/2005 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the picture of the map in your photo album and wondered what that was all about. Now I know! I'm glad you're finding London so vegetarian-friendly.
Love, Mom

 
At 9/16/2005 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Before joining the Peace Corps, you might consider this quote from Erin Elder's blog at erinelder.blogspot.com:

"I keep hearing wonderful stories about how in the winter when there are no vegetables, the extended family kills a horse, quarters it, and each family gets a quarter. In the winter it's going to be all horse meat all the time! I hope I like it."

Erin is in the Peace Corps in Kazakhstan. Something to think about!
Love, Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home