Sunday, September 18, 2005

Last Day in London

I'm posting a little late today. My new, cheap internet option that I was so proud of is not open on Sundays. Inconvenient. Last night I went to see "A Winter's Tale" at the Globe. First of all, I got a free ticket. I was standing in line and a lady came up to me and asked if I was waiting in line for a ticket and then said she had one I could have for free. So I accepted. Then it was a GREAT production. " A Winter's Tale" is one Shakespeare play I really knew nothing about. So it was neat to figure out the story as I went along. The Thames Festival is really happening. I ate some corn-on-the-cob there this afternoon. And I'm going to go back for the fireworks.
Today I went to Petticoat Lane Market (which was neat-- but I had no intention of buying anything so I browsed and left). Then I went to Hyde Park to hear all the loons speak. It was great. I stayed there for hours. Most of them were in fact total lunatics. I stood and listened to an absolute "anti-feminist" spout crazy for longer than I would care to admit. It was intriguing in a what-baseless-irrational-generalization will he come out with now? way. Also interesting (though actually pretty boring== if he'd actually argued and not just keep repeating himself... it COULD have been interesting) was a Jewish man whose argument to why Jews were the chosen people was Jesus's ressurection... huh? Who elses prophet came back from the dead? What other people have survived as many holocausts? A guy kept asking him if Jesus was God and he wouldn't answer. Another group I listened to were a group that supported so-called hacking. It was an interesting argument. They were all software writers. I've actually gotten kind of computer nerdy since I've been working on this website. Maybe I'll take a class on website making/computer writing when I get back...Everyone who is into that sort of thing swears it is easy. I'm not so sure. So DEFINTELY if you are ever in London on a Sunday go to Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park.
Tomorrow I'm off for Oxford.

5 Comments:

At 9/18/2005 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bran,
Last night we saw Mr. and Mrs. Reichel and Mrs. Reichel asked if you had been to the Globe. I told her you were planning to go to a show there. We gave them your blog address.
We also so lots of your Shorter Theatre friends at the same event -a program organized by some of the theatre students as a fund-raiser for Hurricane Katrina victims.
Jennifer and others did a couple of numbers from "A Chorus Line" but we didn't get a chance to talk to Jen. We did talk to Asha, Anna, Liz, Meagan, and many others. Apparently blogspot is blocked by the school computers. Anna said she had not been able to look at your blog yet.
They did a great show with students, faculty, guests, and the Shorter Chorale performing.
Can't wait to hear about Oxford.
Love, Mom

 
At 9/18/2005 4:33 PM, Blogger Joan said...

Sounds like a really unusual event -- the Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park. I had never heard of it, but what a fascinating idea. Was there much heckling or crowd/audience response?

You have done and seen a lot in your 10 days in London.

Continue to take care of yourself. You are much loved by many here in the colonies. Aunt Joan

 
At 9/18/2005 5:25 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Hi Branny-Ru - I'm enjoying catching up on reading your blog. What a great way to chronicle your trip! Love you! Carol

 
At 9/18/2005 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brannon, how fun it is to keep up with your trip this way. Do have a wonderful time! And do be careful! You are precious and loved.
Aunt Debi

 
At 9/19/2005 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Bran,

I enjoyed seeing your new pics. You got some good shots. Is the Fortune theater in an old church, or is that poor church sandwiched into a block of theaters and such? The speakers look like they were happy to have the attention of your camera. And the pigeons were unconcerned. Did you think of Mary Poppins when you saw the pigeons?

I hope things go well with your trip to Oxford. Can't wait for the next installment.


143

Pop

 

Post a Comment

<< Home