Saturday, November 05, 2005

Tropical Island Paridise? Check.

I'm in Corfu! And it only took 12 hours and 50 euro to get here! I'm staying at the Pink Palace. Where I got a free shot of bright pink ouzo when I checked in (about 8:30 in the morning my time) then I got free breakfast.And it was eggs! But I'm going to ask them to leave out the hotdog tomorrow. And I get dinner free too. They have a vegetarian option and I hope hope its Greek Salad. Because I've heard those are amazing in Greece. I just spent 3 hours on the beach reading The Hobbit. Its getting good. Right now I have the room all to myself. There are only 3 other beds(no bunks) and we have a little porch. Man, this is great. I haven't met anyone yet except the guy from Florida who picked me up and the very funny owner of the hostel, Magda who drove only me on the big Pink Palace van/bus listening and singing to loud Greek music and swearing at her brother on the phone. I had company on the train from Rome, a guy named Julio, who gave me the name of an easy to make Tuscan veggie soup. He's studying in Switzerland but is from Italy. Last night in Bari I met this another guy named Lemi who helped me find my way to the ferry. The first ferry was very posh and it was exciting to watch BBC World News in English. Of course it was the only thing to watch so it started repeating. I kept sleeping on limbs and had to wake up at 4am to get off the ferry at Igomenistia so it wasn't altogether comfortable. I had to take ANOTHER ferry to Corfu, less huge. It was very disheartening to walk of ferry #1 and see only a huge parking lot. I ended up having to walk to the other port which wasn't too far and luckily it was almost 6 Greek time.But still dark. I've had the greatest weather lately. I hope it keeps. I thought I got myself a dog this afternoon. "Spice" or "Mogly", a black and white dog followed me around for hours. The water is completely clear here. Also there are lots of jutting rock formations. Pebbles AND sand. Mostly sand. Hoorah. Also I saw a random donkey in feild next to the beach. The Pink Palace is huge.

5 Comments:

At 11/05/2005 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful! I got your postcard--hilarious! Thanks--it was great to get that in the mail. I'm glad the weather is so great--I hope it continues. Having a room to yourself should be nice--especially with a balcony. Wow.

 
At 11/05/2005 8:18 AM, Blogger Carol said...

Good to hear another report - and glad to know you're having a good time. Love you!

 
At 11/05/2005 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you made it safely. It sounds like a wonderful place! Do you have sunscreen?
Love, Mom

 
At 11/05/2005 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you please rephrase: "the guy from Florida who picked me up"!!! ;-)

The pictures of Corfu on the 'net make it seem a gorgeous spot! I little too close to the Balkans for me, but beautiful.

Rome won their first playoff game by the skin of their teeth last night. We'll be with Lil in Kentucky next Fri. Rome will be favored next Fri against Chamblee or Mays but they have been favored in every game this season and have lost one (big-time) and looked sloppy in several others. I hope they can hold on and we get to see them again. If they do, the next week will be really tough against Northside of Warner Robins or Thomas County Central -- probably the strongest teams left.

Did I tell you someone stole our old beat-up lawn tractor? They had to push it up the levee (the battery was out of it being recharged) and probably another half-mile to get it into a truck, I guess. I bought a used replacement this week. I'd better get out there and try it out.

Lil is taking her second SAT as I type.

Have fun in Corfu! How did you come to add that to your itinerary? Are you headed to Venice after Corfu?

We'd still like to hear your voice in real time... call us.

I love you, Brannon Ruth!!

Pop

 
At 11/05/2005 9:42 AM, Blogger Joan said...

Brannon, I found it frustrating not to be able to read your blog and the others every day while we were away from home. It is great to get updated on your travels today. I am glad you are still having a good time. When I finish unpacking, washing clothes, paying bills, and all the other "catching up after a trip" things I have to do today, I plan to look at your new pics and add some to my blog.
I love you! Aunt Joan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home