Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Roma: Day 1

Last night I checked into my hostel, Gulliver's House. Which is very nice and centrally located (Thanks Peggy!). I met a girl from North Carolina who left early this morning to catch her flight home and is probably already there now... which is mindboggling. Also two Aussies who are travelling together who I may go with to Vatican City tomorrow. Today, I wandered around on my own. It was overcast and even started to rain a bit but I managed to do some sightseeing anyway. I took a Let's Go walking tour. A bunch of things were closed today because it's "All Saint's Day". And they didn't do much for Halloween that I could tell. Sarah says that "Rome is still too Catholic for Halloween". I hope I am never that Catholic. So I walked down Via Nationale to Museo Capitolini. Then back to watch Monsters Inc. at the hostel because it was getting dark. Today I saw the Spanish Steps, The Pantheon (which I got into just in time to look around before they closed), Plazza Navona, the Trevi Fountain (if you throw in two coins you are supposed to fall in love in Rome... which I didn't do... couldn't risk it), this chubby Italian boy playing the accordian and singing which was hilarious/adorable and I ran by the Collesseum. I really like Rome. It's nice to be back in a big city. I probably said that about getting out of the big cities at some point but now I'm happy to be back in. Mom and Dad, I promise to call tonight. So sit by your phone.

9 Comments:

At 11/01/2005 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bran,
I am so proud of you. I see your Dad often and ask about you. I come here most days to see what you are up to. I love the hair by the way.

Melissa Smathers

 
At 11/01/2005 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allrightee! I will leave work early so I can be home by 5:30 (11:30 your time) and sit by the phone!!!
Love, Mom

 
At 11/01/2005 3:50 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Go ahead and throw a coin in the fountain!!! That's living dangerously. A movie was made about it -- so you've GOT to do it!
I'm so glad you're in Italy. I sure wish I could join you for a few days. Hopefully I can visit Italy myself sometime in the next couple years. Keep having fun! Love you!

 
At 11/01/2005 7:10 PM, Blogger Trey said...

My mom was in Rome last year and she said it was very pretty and she had lots of fun there. I wish I could see the sights.

 
At 11/02/2005 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you like Gulliver's house! I see they still have Cocoa and Lily (or one or the other anyway)...isn't that the best thing after a long day of sightseeing to chill with the dog and a movie? Love the *Smart* cars there in Italy (could you imagine getting on 75 in one though? EEEK) Have you made sure to get your fill of gelato???? Please do, because you can't find anything close to it here, no matter what the signs may say.

 
At 11/03/2005 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bran--you'll want to be throwing a coin in that fountain--just one over your shoulder means you will fall in love WITH ROME and come back again some day. I loved it there when i visited two years ago--make sure you find the church that has the basement decorated with all the capuchin monk's bones--it's super creepy/cool. i think it's the capuchin church of the immaculate conception on Via Veneto. oh and the mamertine prison where st. peter was held--there's supposed to be an impression of his face on the wall. kind of a cool "real-life" bible story.
hope you're having as amazing a time as it sounds like you are!
Carlyn

 
At 11/03/2005 1:54 PM, Blogger Joan said...

Brannon, I finally got a chance to catch up on your blog today. The Trevi fountain was one of my favorite sites in Rome. We at luch there and bought a gellato afterwards. Wonderful meal and dessert as well as great touring. We also found the pantheon interesting. We were too tired when we got to the Spanish steps to appreciate what we were seeing.

Keep having a great time. We all love you and miss you.
Aunt Joan

 
At 11/03/2005 1:56 PM, Blogger Joan said...

Brannon, I finally got a chance to catch up on your blog today. The Trevi fountain was one of my favorite sites in Rome. We at luch there and bought a gellato afterwards. Wonderful meal and dessert as well as great touring. We also found the pantheon interesting. We were too tired when we got to the Spanish steps to appreciate what we were seeing.

Keep having a great time. We all love you and miss you.
Aunt Joan

 
At 11/11/2005 2:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so crazy to hear you talking about a bunch of places I've been to! When I went to the trevi fountain my aunt wouldn't let me throw more than one coin in because all the italian men were creepy enough without looking for one to make you their love slave. One coin does mean that you fall in love with Rome and will hopefully return (I know it's my hope!) I'm so happy to hear about what has been happening. I can't wait to read more. xoxoxo
~Asha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home