Friday, October 28, 2005

Firenze

I'm in Florence. Yesterday Christabel and I hiked the easiest trail and went to the beach. The pebbles are smaller and more like what I imagined, but they still hurt my feet. I think sand trumps pebbles. On my way to Florence I made a detour through Pisa. Saw the tower...took the cheesy pictures required... thanks to the Laurens I met when I got there. I hung out in Pisa with two American girls named Lauren. They are from California, went to college in Santa Barbara. Pretty nice girls. We saw the sights and then went out to dinner. I got the gnocchi... which is potato filled pasta. It's very filling. If a little weird. When I got to Florence the hostel I was planning to go to was all full up. I hope just because of Halloween weekend. So I called up the guys I met in Cinque Terre and crashed on their couch. They had offered so I took them up on it. They have a really nice apartment and its very central... right next to the duomo. There are 6 people total there but at the moment just me, Tom, and Dave. I think I'm just going to trespass on them one more night and try to get a hostel. They don't reserve in advance so its a bit tricky. Where am I supposed to stay in Rome again? I proabably need to go ahead and try to make that reservation. Right now I'm at the "Net Gallery" which is very nice paintings and internet access. I hope to download a few more pictures and then get out and see the sights. This morning I did a little browsing through the street markets. I got a "Ciao Bella" so I feel like Italy probably is going to love me.

4 Comments:

At 10/28/2005 6:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found Peggy's comment about her favorite hostel in Rome -- and I quote -- it's called Gulliver's house, and Simon and Sara are two of the friendliest people on earth! Remember to include a Sunday in Rome to enjoy the lack of traffic!
If you want to look them up, I've included their info:
http://www.gullivershouse.com/index.html
Via Palermo, 36
00184 Rome - ITALY
Phone / Fax - ++39-064817680

 
At 10/28/2005 6:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe since it is not summer, the traffic in Rome won't be too bad, even if you are not there on a Sunday! Your reaction to the beach reminds me of my own reaction to the beach in Oregon in 1979..."but it's June...and this is the beach...and it's COLD!!!??" A reflection of the fact that I had never been to the beach anywhere but Florida. Hey, use your phone card and call us this weekend!
Eat more protein!!! Take vitamins!!! How is the cough, by the way?
Also, I'm curious about the paragliding...did you launch by jumping off a cliff, or what?
Love, Mom

 
At 10/28/2005 7:45 AM, Blogger Carol said...

Yea! You're in Italy - the place I MOST want to visit. Write lots of posts from there! Enjoy! Love you.

 
At 10/29/2005 12:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

About the paragliding pics:


Wow!


What a wonderful experience, provided you live through it.


Rome won their 5th straight Region football championship tonight. They'll start the playoffs next week - probably against Rockdale Co. at Barron Stadium.

143

POP

 

Post a Comment

<< Home