Wednesday, October 26, 2005

CNN.com- Where is my sunshine?

I'm in Cinque Terre on the Italian riviera. I missed my train. Again. Luckily this time there were no reservations so I just had to wait around for an hour and a half...no money lost. I arrived last night without reservations...which wasn't my fault. I was under the impression I had reservations... but my confirmation email turned out to be a "we don't reserve less than a week in adavnce" email. Luckily it was easy enough to navigate around and I met two American boys from California on the train who I followed back to their hostel... which turned out to be more like a 2 bedroom apartment. So I got a bedroom all to myself. No bunks. It's great. And I'll have the apartment all to myself tonight because the boys left this morning. Tom and David. They're studying until May in Florence... so I may catch up with them there. Today I'm planning on trying to do the entire Cinque Terre hike. And if tomorrow is sunny I'll go to the beach. If not I may head on. I think I'll stop by Pisa to see the tower on my way to Florence. The guys had just been and they said you can do it in a few hours and it's worth it. Plus its on the way. And maybe on the way to Rome I'll spend a day in Seinna. Italy is beautiful. It was sort of strange coming in because the men checking passports had dogs and went through this poor Frenchman's luggage. I wish I were more comfortable with Italian. Maybe I'll learn Spanish and then Italian. They are similar. It was gray and hazy and I was promised "Sunny". But once we got into the more populated hills the scenery was much nicer. I can see the ocean. I'm in the top part of the tourist office, where internet is overpriced but not Switzerland overpriced. I'll try to post some more pictures soon.

3 Comments:

At 10/26/2005 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brannon,

It's 38 right now in Brevard. Have fun at the beach, I'm freezing.

 
At 10/26/2005 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I looked up some pics of Cinque Terre on the Net. Beautiful! Sounds like the hiking will give you a cardiovascular workout. Enjoy and take lots of pics! Today is your 50th day! Halfway home....but still lots of time for new adventures.
Keep us posted on your whereabouts!
Love, Mom

 
At 10/26/2005 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom & I just got back from B&N where we bought a huge map of Europe to put on the wall. I've been checking out online maps every time you scoot from one city to another, but we felt the need to see it all together.

I also looked up photos of Cinque Terre in a coffee-table book on Italy. Magnificent!!! Those villages have just been hanging on the cliffs for centuries. And your train hugs the cliff. Take good pics!!

You are over the hump!! Just 49 days, two hours, 23 minutes and some odd seconds till you are back to us. I want you to cram every good experience you reasonably can into those days. Relish each. But I long for your face and voice!

We will see "A Chorus Line" this weekend and report. I judged the Region 6A One-Act competition again this year (yesterday). They did four plays I had never seen. The best was "Mark Twain in the Garden of Eden". We gave it first and Best Actor to Mark and Best Actress to the Snake. Two of the other plays were entertaining but not as well done by a long shot: "Wait Wait Bo Bait" is a silly collection if vignettes about waiting. "I Never Saw Another Butterfly" was a poignant play about a group of Jewish children in a Nazi concentration camp. The clunker was a modern translation of Aristophanes "Acharnians". It was simply atrocious. I still don't know what it was about, and I don't think a single member of the cast had a clue.

There were two "no-shows". One, Temple High, has a big item on their web-site about how their one-act cast is gonna take first place at the competition on Nov. 5!!!!! Uh-oh. Somebody goofed!

Monday, night was our Pumpkin Fest at school. I told "spooky stories" on the nature trail and had a ball. I also led the 4th grade teachers in a kareoke version of Monster Mash and Purple People Eater. It was a schoolyard smash!! They had a costume contest so most of the kids dressed up. One kid in another class dressed as "Mr. Shaw". Basically she wore a dress shirt with slacks and a flamboyant tie.

Well, here I go again, monopolizing your blog.

I love you baby girl! Soak in the Italian Riviera for me.

Oh, yeah. Today at school my kids were asking me to get you to come show your pictures when you come home.

143

Pop

 

Post a Comment

<< Home