Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Salt (eng. traslation) burg

Yesterday I slept most of my day away. I decided to go out at 4 and buy some clothes. I bought: a coat, socks (which is good because I only had 1.5 pairs left and had been wearing the same ones for almost a week), these funny cotton tights, gloves, and a longsleeve shirt. Now I feel much warmer. Even last night I saw several things (a church I think we sang at and the mountain wall and the Mozart museum) that I recognize. Which is a bit odd to think about since I only saw them once and it was 8 years ago. The familiarity is nice. Though its a distant one.
I almost went out with some funny Londoners and Aussies in my room but I had a headache from all the talking. But this morning I woke up feeling much better and the sun was out! So I rented a bike. Salzburg is very bike and pedestrian friendly. It´s almost un-European of them. Everyone stops at stoplights and the walkers don´t start walking until the little green man lights up. Anyway at first I couldn´t get anywhere. I kept on winding up close to where I started. I set out again and found the downtown area. I climbed the many, many stairs to go inside the fortress. The oldest complete castle in Europe or something like that. Their claim to fame is that the castle has NEVER been successfully attacked. What they mean is that it was only taken once, surrendered without a fight to Napoleon. I took an audio tour. My first. Because I´m cheap and this one was included. It was pretty interesting. And I saw the Salzburg Bull... the Organ, which my guide book says is called that because its horribly off key. The audio guide admitted it only playd F major triads but mentioned nothing about that being unpleasant. The fortress also had a marionnette museum. Marionettes are creepy. It also had spectacular veiws of Salzburg.
Everyone is decorating for Christmas. A tree had even been erected in the time it took me to get back off the mountain. And there was iceskating. I biked around a bit while the sun went down and of course got myself lost just in time for complete darkness. But with the help of two friendly Salzburgers and my trusty map I managed to make it home, albeit cold.
I decided to spring for the (sort of pricey) hostel dinner. Everyones been talking about how good they are. The portions are huge. I got vegetable and spinach and cheese schnitzel or struddle or something like that. And salad. And potatos and veggies. It was terrific. And now I´m fat and happy and I want to sleep. I´m going to wake up early tomorrow morning to catch the first train to Budapest.

8 Comments:

At 11/15/2005 2:39 PM, Blogger Sam said...

you wore the same pair of socks for a week?? oh dear!

 
At 11/15/2005 2:43 PM, Blogger Trey said...

I know how that one feels...

One day I'll be able to afford nice things like socks and food, but not this day. lol

 
At 11/15/2005 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello my dear Brannon, just wanted to say "un petit coucou" from Paris. Your Photo album is amazing! You're so lucky. *

Valentine

 
At 11/15/2005 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Brannon,
I tryed to send you an Email but it didn't work:
thank you so much for your postcard, I was so
Happy,you are so
cute!!
I'm happy to know that everythings are ok apparently!!
I feel
very gulty, because I didn't send you any Emails since
you left!! But
it doesn't mean that I will vorget you!! I won't,
don't worry
and I really hope that we will still remember each
other even 10
years later!!! I'm sure we will!!
The same "routine" for me in Paris with my school and
my student'job. This week I am very Happy because we are
supose to make a short film, I mean a clip (2 minutes) with 2
profesional (film director). The subject is the claim that could
have young people about politics, economy, about their
futur and the gouvernement's policy today.
I really hope you will still enjoy your trip, meet a
lot of intersting and nice people, see wonderfull landscapes,
learn a lot about european's culture. You deserve it and I really think that all american's should do the same kind ok trip.

Maybe you will also meet the man of your dream (l'homme de tes rêves?!!! Who
knows, that could be fun..!!!

Gros bisous from France (big kiss)


Valentine

 
At 11/15/2005 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wondered you would remember anything from your trip in 9th grade! I hope you bought several pairs of socks! Why haven't you put up any new pics lately?

Love, Mom

 
At 11/15/2005 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First to Valentine!

Thank you for being so hospitable to our baby while she was in Paris. I hope you will someday come to Georgia and allow us to reciprocate. We would love to have you.

To Bran...
I too am anxious to see new pics! I'm glad you are warm.

Our AOL password got compromised somehow, so I changed the password. Some spammer got hold of our account and sent out over 300 e-mail in a few minutes this afternoon, so AOL froze our account. I'll e-mail the new password to your yahoo account in case you ever want to check in on the AOL account again.

Have a great time in Budapest! Upload some pics when you get a chance.

143!!!

Pop

 
At 11/15/2005 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Sounds like a whirlwind! I hope you are feeling better, especially since you had the heart to give away your medicine. I hope the new warm clothes help. Miss you!

 
At 11/16/2005 1:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still thinking about the socks!

What is that interesting fragrance? lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home