Thursday, November 10, 2005

In Venice!

Two straight days of travelling later...I'm alive. After my last post in Corfu karma kicked in and it was cloudy. But we watched DVDs and played dominos and went to the beach all the same. And Karen (from Alberta, Canada) moved into my room and we decided to travel to Venice together. Our ferry plans took a frustrating turn yesterday. We woke up to catch a taxi at 5:15am to catch the 7:00am ferry to Venice that didn't sail that day. In fact there were NO ferries at all to Italy from Corfu (off-season is a bit of a hassle on Greek islands). So we went to Igoumenitsa where we caught the 8:00 PM ferry overnight to Ancona where we caught the noon train to Bologna and then Venice. We actually spent a nice day in Igoumenitsa with Sam (New Zealand) and Mike (from Poland). The sun came out and we rented a car and went to the beach and exploring around the island. Sam broke her arm in 3 places while at the Pink Palace so they were just finally making it off the island. We also had a good cheap meal at a port restuarant.
The ferry wasn't as nice as the one on the way over here. By which I mean they actually made me sleep on the DECK. Like outside. On plastic benches. Luckily, the deck steward took pity and let us sleep inside next to the stairs/elevator. It was still pretty uncomfortable and cold. Also we were on the same part of the ships as the dogs. Everyone looked like hobos. It's been a rush of trains since. We got into Venice around 5pm and took the waterbus to our hostel. Which is pretty nice and just across the canal from the center of town. My new schedule is as follows: Munich, Salzburg, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam, Frankfurt(Sweinfurt), Dublin, London. I may add Budapest. Karen went and says was nice, safe, and cheap. Love!

5 Comments:

At 11/10/2005 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea!!! You're alive! We've been worried sick, girl! Please don't leave somewhere again without telling when you are leaving and where you are going. I'll have to send you a "howler" (maybe this is a howler) otherwise. Hey only eight days til Harry Potter! Your package of clothes and souvenirs arrived today.
Love you! Mom

 
At 11/10/2005 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brannon Ruth, you do NOT need to scare us all like that again. We love you and it still sounds like you are having a blast. Aunt Debi

 
At 11/10/2005 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess Mom's howler will be sufficient. (Actually, it's 7 days, 7 hours and 40 odd minutes till H.P. hits the screens again. Since you are six hours ahead of us, I guess it's less for you. BTW it's 1166 days till HeWhoShallNotBeNamed is out of our White House and 34 days, 5 hours, and some minutes till my beautiful world traveler returns.)

We enjoyed Proof last night. I thot Joanna, especially, did well as the fragile but genius mathematician girl. Actually I didn't think Neal was as strong as he has been in his other roles.

Wow, Venice!! Don't go kissing under the Bridge of Sighs!!! I don't want a Mafioso son-in-law!

143

Pop

 
At 11/10/2005 7:06 PM, Blogger Joan said...

Well, add your grandmother to the super-worriers! She has talked of nothing else all day but the awful things that could be happening to you. She was SO relieved to hear that you had posted to your blog. Of course, I was not worried at all. (a little sarcasm there.) Anyway, WOW! Venice!! Have a ball, Girl. Love you much and am so glad to know you are safe and happy. Aunt Joan

 
At 11/11/2005 1:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your dad and mom more than i can express after reading thier comments by the way!!! Sorry about taking so long to leave you a message, it's been busy here in conyers but I am so stoked to know that you're in venice. I really can't tell you where to go because it was 5 years ago when i went, and also because everything is right there so all the cool sights are easy to find. I do recommend possibly taking a day trip to torcello (spelling?) it's a little island that should be off the coast of venice with a population that's like under 100 and with some really neat secluded sights like monastaries and stuff. I enjoyed it when I went... unless i'm mixing up my places and i went to torcello when i was in florence not venice... oh well, look into it. You'll probably do this anyway but when you go to the shops on the main square be sure to find a mask, it's traditional and really great too. Also, venice is famous for its glass and while i was there I was able to see some glass blowing demonstrations that were cool and I recommend highly, plus i was able to get some small pieces of glass made to look like candy as souvenirs for my friends (very inexpensive and very beautiful). Don't ask me where the glass blowing place was cause' lord knows I can't remember, but i'm sure if you're interested you can find something easily. While I am severely envious of your escapades, I am sending you TONS of cosmic love beams and positive vibes that will aid u on your journey (I know it sounds lame, but positive thoughts usually lead to positive outcomes!) I love you and miss you and can't wait until you're back and we're reunited. YAY!!!! Stay Safe.
Love ~Asha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home