Monday, November 07, 2005

Corfu

As it turns out Corfu is somewhat of a ghost town except in the summer (when its wild). The first night I was here I went down to the village (The Pink Palace is not actually in Corfu town) to try to find an ATM and NOTHING was open. It was almost spooky because you can tell things WERE open not so long ago. But all their aren't drinks in the coolers and there are newspapers over the doors. I found one Mexican resturant and a couple of people rummaging inside a dark travel agency building.
Yesterday I met three Canadian guys at breakfast and we all went "quading". This is the equivalent of 4-wheeling. It was tons of fun. And I got to see a huge part of the island I wouldn't have seen otherwise. They have really cool trees here. And everythings hills and valleys. We found 13th century Byzantine fortress ruins and an abandoned monastary which seemed to be at the highest point around. We could see the end of the island. We ate lunch near the lake/cove. There is a really good chance we were the only customers all day and definitely up to that point. There was a small sign saying they were open and when we asked the woman if she served food we got a "sure, why not?" sort of answer. It was funny. The food was very good. The boys got kabab type things and fries and I got a veggie pizza. There was no menu we had to try to negotiate the menu with the woman and her English was very broken...and of course our Greek was nonexistant. She had a very hard time understanding that I didn't eat meat:) There were a huge amount of cats around. We ate out side. The woman's mother who she told us "is 80 years old" helped get the table ready. The guys, John(ny), Pete(r), and Mike are all in the Salvation Army brass band at home. Trombone, tuba, and 1st cornet respectively. They are really good guys. While we were getting our quads ready a guy came in on the Pink Palace bus who Johnny knew in high school. It was very bizarre. He was starting his first day of work there.
It got sort of cold last night after a nice warm day as usual. I'm paying 7.50 euro right now to have everything that is cloth washed. Seriously, my rain jacket and the clothes I have on now are the only things that made it out of the pile. I think I've been a bit spoiled lately on the clothes washing thing. I'm planning on ditching some of my summer clothes and obtaining some wintery ones as soon as I get off the island.
It gets dark SO EARLY here. The sun is going down by 5:30 and its as pitch-dark-as-it-will-get by 6:30. Free dinner, which is FANTASTIC (and a relief because nothing else is open), starts at 8:30 and I'm always starving. Today for breakfast we had a Greek omlets. I still have my room to myself... and I really think it will keep. Which is so nice for a change. Luckily I don't have much to spend money on as I don't have much because there are no ATMs. I may have stayed too long here because the day I was planning on travelling you can't actually catch a ferry until midnight. Oops. I hope the weather holds. I'm heading down to the beach!

7 Comments:

At 11/07/2005 6:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The quadding sounds like fun. I saw pictures of that on one of the web sites. As your mom, I'm not sorry some of the activities are closed for the season! It is so good to hear from you! Corfu looks like a good place to "rest" from your vacationing. Now that we're back on standard time, it gets dark early here too. We fed the youth at church last night, outside about 6:15, and it was dark! Keep those posts coming! Love, Mom

 
At 11/07/2005 6:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somehow Salvation Army guys are not the sort of guys I was expecting on Corfu. They are however, guys, therefore not-to-be-trusted. :-)

I'm glad you are getting a look at a small place and real Greek folks and eating real Greek food. I CONTINUE TO BE VERY JEALOUS! I hope you can get Corfu pics up soon.

You still haven't said what you think the next stop will be.

Grandmother has her surgery this morning. I'll e-mail you when we know how it went. She'll stay at Emory tonight and come home tomorrow morning if all goes well.

I'm gonna have a student teacher second semester. I'm excited about that. The practicum student I've had the last 4 weeks has been a big help.

Have a wonderful day, Brannyroo!

143

Pop

 
At 11/07/2005 7:47 AM, Blogger Joan said...

Like your dad, I too continue to be jealous! Sounds like such a great experience! PLEASE stay alert and take care of yourself while you are having a great time -- you are very important and dear to lot of us stateside! BTW, thanks for the good refresher course in geography! Love you. Aunt Joan

 
At 11/07/2005 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Glad you found some nice guys--Salvation Army guys tend to be nice. Glad the weather is still good and you still have a room to yourself.
Things are quiet around here--no students today or tomorrow--teacher planning. And no school for anybody on Friday, so I am flying to KY for the weekend. Yay! Hope you week continues well! Miss you!

 
At 11/07/2005 11:58 PM, Blogger Joan said...

I am awfully glad that you went to Paris first and are not there now!

 
At 11/08/2005 7:17 AM, Blogger Carol said...

Amen to what your Aunt Joan said. Don't go back to France - and be careful! Lots of people love you! Keep having fun!

 
At 11/08/2005 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Brannon,

I got caught up on your blog today -- been to Georgia and back since the last I read! Didn't get to see your folks -- sorry about that. We tried to do too much, probably! But, it was good to see mother come through the surgery well, but she knows she has been "through the mill!" She is in pain and has a very swollen face, but she is OK and will get better fast -- that's the important thing. Keep having a great time and don't trust strange men -- even Salvation Army guys! Love you muchly!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home