Sunday, October 23, 2005

Boo! Rain.

Yesterday was fantastic... but today is a rainy day in Interlocken. Luckily I'm rooming with a great bunch of girls. Cassie, who I've been with since Nice, we're finally parting ways, which is always a bit sad. She's taking the night train tonight to Veinna. Steph, who I met in Madrid, she's the first hostel person I've run into again. Jess and Louise, who are travelling together from Australia (Perth and Sydney respectively). And Claire, from Cambra, Australia (the forgotten capital). Yesterday morning I went with Steph, Cassie, Louise, and Claire to take pictures of their paragliding ascent. It looked so amazing. I think I got the best deal. Getting to drive up there for free and see all the scenery and excitement. But I'm thinking about going myself on Monday. It's expensive. 160 Swiss. But I think it might be worth it. I'm going to try to justify it in my budget. And then get over the fear of it. The food is too expensive here NOT to cook... so I'm saving a bit of money that way. Later in the day Jess, Louise, Cassie and I rented bikes and went around the lake...until it started going uphill...then we turned around. It's just so beautiful here, all the leaves are changing. Outside my window I can see one mountain covered in fall leaves and another covered in snow. Then we "sun-baked" in the back yard of the hostel. I'm not sure how much "baking" occurs when you're fully clothed with a "beanie" over your face. Ha.
I have a cough. And I've taken all my medicine. I bought some multi vitamins but they are the type that disolve in water, otherwise known as my worst nightmare. Maybe I could just eat them and it would be o.k. There were 3 (sort of loud) Canadian girls who are au pairs in Geneva in our bunk last night. It is amazing how good their French is... I think it's a shame that American education doesn't put more of an emphasis on learning another language. Of course everyone in Europe is so close to each other. It is really necessary to be fluent in at least one other. But still. I feel a little cheated. I think I'm of normal intelligence. I should be able to speak at least one other language.I might have said this before, but yeah, I still feel that way. I also feel its a shame that more young Americans don't travel. We're really a little under-represented. Plus we make really laughably irritating old people travelers.
The hostel I'm staying at has a giant plastic chess set on painted outside tiles. It's kind of like Harry Potter...but more cheerful. I have new pictures up!

8 Comments:

At 10/23/2005 8:07 AM, Blogger Joan said...

Brannon, I SO agree with your sentiment about Americans not learning other languages from childhood. This is another of my soapboxes. In practically every other nation in the world educated people speak more than one language. Children and young people can learn a language so much easier than adults can.

Glad you are enjoying Interlocken. I hope you get to see Joshua while you are in Germany.

We love you and miss you here!!!!

 
At 10/23/2005 8:44 AM, Blogger Joan said...

I just looked at internet pics of Interlaken (the Swiss spelling?). WOW! I am so envious!

 
At 10/23/2005 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!! The pics are great.

Chocolate!! Confectionary architecture that looks like the real architecture that looks like confections!!

Blue, and I mean blue, Mediterannean water!

Flotsam and Jetsam, up close and personal!

And now, THE ALPS!!!! I, too, have been exploring online vistas of Interlaken. I spose you notice it's situated "inter" two big "laken" and below a bunch of BIG mountains. Maybe I'll read Banner in the Sky again. Did I read that one to you? (If you see Rudi Matt tell him hallo, bonjour, and caio for me.)

The paragliding looks like terrifying, but heavenly, fun!! I can't believe I'm saying this, but I hope you'll get the nerve, and put aside your penny-pinching ways, and go ahead and do the tandem paragliding. It looks glorious!! You could maybe make up for it by mooching off Josh & Charlee or Valentine, again, ;-) As Uncle Gil says, it's only money. It looks relatively safe to me. Interlaken is evidently the paragliding centre of the universe.

Will your train from Interlaken to Italy go through those gigantic tunnels under the Alps?

Take a rainy day to get your pics all uploaded and labeled before you forget the details.

Don't get sloppy about your security as you get more comfortable in your travels but... I can now relax enough to admit how thrilled, and proud, and a more than a little jealous, I am that my eldest has undertaken this wonderful quest. I think you'll be sorry if you don't try paragliding.

Your loyal fans, stateside, might enjoy seeing how the tandem paragliding is done. Click one at a time on the small photos at the upper right of the following webpage:

http://www.alpincenter.ch/

Remind yourself occasionally to be fully alive and aware. Make lots of (vivid) memories. And right now.. lift your eyes unto those beautiful "hills"!!!

I can't wait to see the pics.


143

Pop

 
At 10/23/2005 11:34 AM, Blogger Carol said...

For what it's worth, I had an opportunity to go tandem parachuting a few years ago, and I chickened out. I regret that. My advice - Go paragliding! Love you!

 
At 10/23/2005 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, I'd probably chicken out too. Hights give me the willies. BUT - sounds fan-t-tastic.

Maybe once you're up there you will forget the fear and enjoy the thrill ....

BTW - you do speak two languages (3, if you include sign language).

You can speak Southern. :)

 
At 10/23/2005 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gulp! I also hope you'll get up the nerve to go paragliding!
I wouldn't do it myself, but that's beside the point!
Love, Mom

 
At 10/23/2005 7:34 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

Hi Brannon. I am enjoying reading about your wondeful travels. Joan's blog today also talked about the importance of learning other languages .
I have to agree with your Mom and Beth about paragliding! I would be too chicken to do it. BUT it is a wondeful thing to have done.
I had dinner with your Mom and Dad after church today. I love and miss you.

 
At 10/23/2005 10:08 PM, Blogger Joan said...

Go for it, Brannon. You will probably be sorry later if you don't.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home