Thursday, November 17, 2005

Pest

Despite being promised 5 days or rain and flurries, today was a beautiful day in Budapest. I met up with Madeline but it was too pretty outside to go to the baths just yet..plus she hadn't bought a bathing suit. We're going tomorrow. Today we did a bit of wandering. We found an amazing, huge market. Food on the bottom, clothes and souveneirs on top. I'll probably go back and grab some fresh produce. We went by the Danube river which was windy and cold. Then we went by St. Stephen's Bascilica and saw the good saint's mummified hand. Which was a bit gross, though beautifully incased. Then we went by the famous Opera House... where we are going to either see Romeo and Julia (yes Julia in Hungary), the ballet or Rigelleto. Then we walked down to the city park past many famous buildings that we didn't bother checking on the map. In the park there is an ice skating rink (also a plan) and the baths that we are going to tomorrow. We ate at a nice restuarant. Mostly because we were starving. I got vegetable soup and ravioli with paprika cream sauce. I hear they put paprika in everything here so I didn't want to miss out. After that we went on a quest for a bathing suit. And I visited Madeline's hostel which got an influx of 12 Spanish boys.
I've already decided to stay an extra day. I love my hostel. It is very laid back. Last night I did yoga with the other lodgers, led by the guy in the bed next to me (for Dad: duh,not the same bed). I can't really figure out if he works here or is just lodging here extensively. He's practically a contortionist and loads us up on loads of Eastern thought and strange foods. Right now I am waiting for my laundry to run. I just can't face going back to handwashing everything. Tomorrow, I want to go to the Statue park. And take a communism tour. We didn't cross the river to Buda today but stayed in Pest. I want to go the island in the middle of the river especially if I get another sunny day. Flurries are still in the forecast.

6 Comments:

At 11/17/2005 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pest sounds like an interesting place. I didn't realize it was two cities. Great to hear from you!!!
Love, Mom

 
At 11/17/2005 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Bran: Duh, or I'd be on a plane to Pest (Given current airline rules I'll havta wait till I get there to buy the shotgun.) :-)

Have you lost your camera?

143

Pop

 
At 11/17/2005 6:25 PM, Blogger Brannon said...

I'm working on getting the pictures up. The last few places I have been I haven't been allowed to use my USB cable. I'll try to upload the pictures before I leave Budapest.

 
At 11/17/2005 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'd about decided your camera was lost or stolen!! But I know I get behind on downloading pics to the 'puter myself. And it's a lot easier for me here at home than for you with different computers and circumstances every day.

I have really enjoyed seeing your pics, and I miss them. I understand tho.

143!!!!!!!

 
At 11/17/2005 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoops... I forgot to identify myself!!

 
At 11/19/2005 4:56 AM, Blogger Ruth said...

I'm going to learn something about Europe by the time you get home (counting the days) if it is only the difference betwen Pest and Budapest. Take care of yourself. You are constantly in thoughts and prayers, I love you, Grandmother.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home