Thursday, November 24, 2005

Mock Thanksgiving in Prague!

Yesterday I spent all day with my new friend Jackie. She is from L.A. (originally Mexico) and traveling almost the exact same time/route as me! But she's leaving in a week instead of three. We explored the Old Town Prague. The weather is still not holding out for me. It's cold and cloudy but no snow. On our way to Old Prague we wandered into a Aqua-Therm convention. We suspect that the lady didn't make us pay because she could tell we had no idea what we were trying to get into. Which was true. We thought it was a fair type thing. We at the park looking for the ferris wheel and iceskating promised. But we found an aquatherm convention about heating and toilets and such. It was great. A mingle with real Czechs who had no idea what we were doing there.
I got new glasses. And so have lessened my reliance on duct tape. Also tons of yarn and wooden knitting needles which are way better than metal or plastic as it turns out.
We decided to fix ourselves a little Thanksgiving dinner last night... since neither of us will be home or anywhere especially conducive to the holiday today. We made mashed potatos, green beans, a zucchini and tomato dish, rolls, salad (that we never made it around to eating), she made chicken, and wine out of box for less than a dollar. It was delicious. It was classy. It was fun... though the preparation was a bit long. Then we went downstairs where we listened to real Irish folk music. Courtesy of three wee lads from Ireland, Cormmack, Rory and Brian. These boys imparted the little Thanksgiving knowledge that it was NOT infact Chris Columbus who discovered America. (No!!!) IT WAS an IRISHMAN (of course). A monk by the name of Saint Brandon. He rowed across the Atlantic on a little boat. And they even sang us a song about it. And I can't laugh about it because it isn't funny IT'S TRUE. But our box wine was hilarious. We had a really good/late night hanging out with our Irish blokes. They even sang a few songs I knew. Vincent (Don McLean) and the Tiny Sparrow song (I don't remember the actual name). And Cormmack knew Eva Cassidy. I tried to tell them about Peter, Paul and Mary and American folk music. Rory wrote all the names I gave him down. But he's not a Bob Dylan fan so that caused a bit of a rift in the relationship. At least for me. So then I had to make him write down a list of terrific Bob Dylan songs that everyone should love. I think he will be won over yet.
Today I'm heading to Berlin. And we have heaps of left overs to eat before we leave. In the Thanksgiving tradition.

5 Comments:

At 11/24/2005 7:36 AM, Blogger Carol said...

Sounds like fun, Brannon! We will miss you today at the Thanksgiving get-together at your grandmother's. We'll be thinking of you. I can't wait for you to get home. I will expect LOTS of in-person tales of your trip at Christmas. Love you!

 
At 11/24/2005 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving! We will miss you today while we are enjoying turkey and dressing at Grandmother's.
Love, Mom

 
At 11/24/2005 8:54 AM, Blogger Terrell said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Daughter of Mine!

I am an incredibly thankful man today. My blessings are legion. And you and your sister and your Mom are right at the head of the pack. I love you and I admire you. Have a glorious last couple of weeks of your expedition and come home to us safe, happy and brimming with glorious memories!

143!!!!!

Pop

 
At 11/24/2005 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Brannon. I loved your description of your creative celebration! Sounds like fun. Reminds me of the time we celebrated Gil's birthday in a trailer behind our station wagon on the Coast highway beside the Pacific Ocean. Fog rolled in -- completely blocking view of anything -- so we had to pull over beside the road. We decorated the trailer and had a wonderful party -- the kids loved it!

 
At 1/20/2006 6:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey how are you. Seems you had a good trip and all. By the way It's Cormac, Ruarai...you got Brian ok. And it was St. Brendan. I'm about to head off to France in a couple of weeks to study. Keep in touch via web and my web site. It will be getting a big transformation over the next couple of weeks. It was great meeting you guys. I'm sure you have no plans for further long haul trips. However me and the lads are as your fazvorite musician s says "rolling stones"!!!! Anyway keep in touch. I will forward your e-mail address to Ruff if you want? Brian (one of the Irish Lads)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home