Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Last Day

Ahhh! It's my last day in Europe. Tomorrow I will simply wake up, eat breakfast, and get on the train for Gatwick. My flight leaves at 1:30. Yesterday I bummed around a bit. I had lunch at St. Paul's and wandered about some of the areas I hadn't been too. I read the newspaper for a bit in cafe and continued on to Leicester Square to look for theatre tickets. I once again depended on the "if I wander around something will probably fall into my lap" mentality which once again did not prove sucessful. So I went quite happily to see Narnia. Sorry Dad! I didn't get your post until this morning. I figured all you Rome people would beat me to it. But I'll go again. I thought the movie was fantastic. I may read that series after I finish The Lord of the Rings. I have a big day ahead of me today. Still loads to do on the list. Last night I did secure a ticket to go see "A Christmas Carol" starring (all the Trek-ies will be jealous) Patrick Stewart... who's the commander or whatever on The New Generation...right? So I am excited. It will be my grand finale.

I feel like maybe I should have some big revelation to tell you all about. But I haven't really. I've learned heaps of small things. Practical things. I feel like a bit more of an adult. I know now that I can survive for the three months on my own. Even if I'm a girl. Even if I don't know the language. Even if I don't eat meat. But I really knew that all along, I just hadn't tried.

Let's see, I've learned the difference between Aussie, New Zealand and English accents. And that all three can all be completely uncomprehensible.
I've learned that I'm not a loner. I don't mind being by myself but after about a day I'm ready to be with people. I feel sorry for people who are social outcasts because it's very self absorbing not to hear any thoughts but your own for too long.
I also feel sorry for anyone who has to sell something on the street. I think they get rejected more often than actors and that is no easy feat. Especially petitioners, because likely enough I'll be one at some point and I don't want to listen to them either.
I've learned that I am horribly addicted to the Internet and need to start monitering my time when I don't have to pay by the hour. I mean... I don't want it to eat my soul.
I've learned that even vacationing can be WORK and I am too often unbearably lazy.
I've learned some geography. Man, it was awful.
I've learned that I have a LOT more travelling to do. I've planned at least a dozen other trips since I've been here. There are more adventures to be had-- and I have every intention of having them. I'll keep you posted.

8 Comments:

At 12/13/2005 7:14 AM, Blogger Joan said...

Great lessons, Brannon. Thanks for sharing your insights. Love you!

 
At 12/13/2005 7:34 AM, Blogger Terrell said...

Wonderful post, Daughter of Mine. I hope you get the opportunity to do all those trips you have in mind -- spend a little time with Pop between trips though, please!

Have a beautiful trip home!!

I love you.

Pop

 
At 12/13/2005 7:36 AM, Blogger Carol said...

What a great post, Brannon. I'm SO looking forward to seeing you at Christmas and hearing about all this in person. Love you!

 
At 12/13/2005 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This time tomorrow you will be on your way home! Yea!!
Love, Mom

 
At 12/13/2005 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brannon,

If you see a bookstore, I am dying to get a copy of "Songbird" the biography of Eva Cassidy and it is only available in London (about 5 pounds on ebay -- plus shipping). If you are around a bookstore in the limited time you have left and see one -- get it and I'll pay you for it!!!! Can't wait to see you!!

 
At 12/14/2005 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOu are probably on your way home, but I will leave one last comment. I can't wait to see you/talk to you. These past few months have flown by! Have a safe trip home!

 
At 12/14/2005 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brannon my love! I hope u made it back to the states in one piece! Hehe! I love you girl! I am so glad you had a great time! I have missed you so much! I have a drivers lisence now so hopefully I can come visit ya up in Rome soon, but I have to get car insurance first...damn! Hehe!!!!! Yay Brannon is back!!!

 
At 12/15/2005 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, Nice wrap up Brannon!!! I have so enjoyed reading all about your trip and I'm going to reread it. You're going to have to tell me how you managed and budgetted and travelled and everything because I am also planning on making the same trip some day. YES, it is true... You are an inspiration to us all and I am soooo glad you did this and learned so much. But like i have and will continue to say; It is comforting to know that you are in the same country as me. I love you Brannon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home