Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Lost Earlobes and Such

Yesterday I left the hostel intent on wandering Amsterdam. Then it poured. There is film festival (only documentaries) going on right now so I decided to see a film. But it was hard to choose since the descriptions were in Dutch. So things clear up and I decide to continue plan A. It turns out Amsterdam is wonderfully scenic. It is built completely around all of these canals and there are lots of flower markets. So I spent the day wandering, the weather kept alternating between sunny skies and pouring rain so I kept dashing in and out of shops. Its not as cold as Berlin. Thank goodness. On the otherhand there is no snow. I got The Two Towers. I finished the Fellowship and decided there would be no waiting until I'm at home with my pre-purchased volumes.
I made a vegetable stew. Which I think will last me the rest of my stay. It's a bit bland (and I dropped half the tomatoes on the floor) but its nice to save a bit of money on food if not on accomidations.
Today at breakfast i met an Austrailian girl, Sarah, from Melbourne. She wears green cowboy boots and doesn't seem to give too much thought to mathing...so I knew I would like herfrom the git-go. We went to the Van Gogh museum which was very interesting I thought. I was sad they didn'thouse Starry Night (is that what its called?) but they had a pretty good collection and his life story is really fascinating. He was really an eccentric character and did go mad at the end. He was pretty much a self made artist. And he wrote this amazing amount of letters almost all to his younger brother who financially supported him his entire life. And who died (of greif?) shortly after he shot himself. Theo(his brother) was only 34 and had only been married a couple of years with a one year old son (Vincent).
Then we went to see the "World Premiere" of a short doc about adopted Dutch children (7 total) who go to visit for the first time their drug addicted birth mother which turns out anticlimactic. But sadly probably not unlike many reunions. It was called "Mum" and all the kids and their Dutch parents were there. Then the main film "A Love Apart" about a Nigerian girl's arranged marriage. The ritual of her lying in a tent for weeks before the wedding not allowed to talk or move really so that she is super-weak (submissive?) for her wedding day I found a bit distressing. Of course she was willing and you can chalk it up to culture. But it many of the people of the community did not approve of arranged marriages for their own daughters and were not continuing the custom in that way. So it was interesting. Very non-Western. And the camels galloping through the desert were truely bizzare.
Tomorrow, I have loads to do. I've hardly taken any pictures. I was just inthe kitchen with 10 other people... none of the same nationality. I love it.

8 Comments:

At 11/30/2005 6:42 PM, Blogger Carol said...

10 people in one kitchen and no one from the same country! Sounds like fun!

 
At 11/30/2005 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so international! I hope we recognize you when you get home!
Love, Mom

 
At 11/30/2005 8:31 PM, Blogger Terrell said...

Can you splain what in the world "mathing" is?

You said: "...doesn't seem to give too much thought to mathing..." ????

And what about the "Lost Earlobes"?

I just don't understand.

Two weeks from tonight we see you!!!
Thanks for commenting on my blog, by the way. I spose I caught the disease from Mother, Carol, Beth and Joan over Thanksgiving. I've suggested some sort of group therapy for us , but no one has taken me up on it. ;-)

143

Pop

 
At 11/30/2005 9:05 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Terry - Vincent Van Gogh cut off his ear lobe - remember? lol

Sounds great Brannon. I personally was relieved to see it wasn't YOUR earlobe that went missing. After reading your post yesterday about how cold it was, that's what I was afraid you were writing about when I read you headline this evening. I thought maybe they'd just frozen right off.

Glad you are having so much fun. I was wondering what 'mathing' was too.

Love,
Beth

 
At 11/30/2005 9:17 PM, Blogger Terrell said...

Beth, I am a complete idiot!! I even thought about Vincent's ear when I read the part about him being "...mad at the end...", but somehow my neurons weren't firing zackly right.

Duh!!!!

 
At 11/30/2005 10:23 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

I bet you meant matching! Green cowboy boots, that is right up your alley! How did that roommate matching system go? Take 6 people who have nothing at all in common and put them in a room together. I guess it worked out well; 4 of 6 stay in touch 4 years later. Don't have too much fun mismatching, I am in a tizzy over here.

 
At 11/30/2005 11:10 PM, Blogger Terrell said...

Matching!!! Of course!!! Thank you Melanie. Combine my daughter's outstanding typing skills with her "Writing to Read" spelling, and whadya get? ("Accommodations", daughter dear!)

Sheila and I are still laughing over "mathing" and my confusion over the "lost earlobes". I think I decided, in light of yesterday's post, that you were gonna talk of frozen earlobes. So when you didn't I was totally confused and, because of my prejudice, blind to the obvious. There's a lesson there somewhere.

143

 
At 12/01/2005 4:55 AM, Blogger Brannon said...

Aunt Beth and Melanie are correct. I'm just full of riddles. Who knew?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home