Thursday, December 08, 2005

In Dublin's fair city...

I've had a good couple of days in Dublin. I did manage to follow the walking tour in my book the first day I was here. I started out talking to some security cops on St. Stephen's green who proceeded to A)snatch my hat B) beat me with it and C)afterwards try to ask me out. The Irish are funny creatures. I also paid a visit to Trinity College which was scenic and bustling with students. I haven't gone to see the Book of Kels yet. When I got back from my wander I went out to a pub to watch the Liverpool v. Chelsea game with a couple guys from the hostel. We watched the Manchester game last night too. And I don't remember these boys names. One is from Queensland/Brisbon, Austrailia (I think his name starts with a D) and the other is from the Philipines but has been living in Richmond, VA for the last 6 years but is studying in Spain this sememster. Last night we also went out with one of his friends from school in Spain, Colleen. I DO remember her name...it seemed particularly appropriate. When I got back to my room the second night I had a roommate, Nikki from Portland, OR, who was working in Dublin (both her parents are Irish so she has citizenship). She's going home to Portland just a few days before me. So we hung out yesterday. While she took care of some buisness I went to The National History Museum and saw all the native Irish stuffed animals and bones of the "Great Irish Deer" (dinosaur). Then I went to the National Gallery and looked at a span of Irish paintings and sketches. All for free. Hoorah. Today I'm going to check out the Modern Art Museum and possibly the "National Wax Museum" (could it be as good as it sounds?). I think I've gotten myself a little hooked on chess. I played Nikki after we got back to the hostel and won both rounds. Then my Austrailian beat me...pretty badly. But I came back and won a game played by Harvey, who I thinkis from Spain. He gave up a little early (I captured his queen 4 or 5 moves into the game) and Aussie came in but even he couldn't salvage it. So 3 out of 4 for me. Today I might also go see a movie at the Irish Film institute. And tomorrow I am toying with the idea of taking a Irish countryside tour. Hmmm. Oh, I have new pictures up. I'm going to go ahead and apologize for not taking more. I'm out of form.

5 Comments:

At 12/08/2005 10:54 AM, Blogger Joan said...

Yea, Brannon! A post from you today! I missed reading about your adventures yesterday. Sounds like Ireland is great, too. I hope you will find it exciting to return to the good ol' USA in a few more days. We love you and miss you.

 
At 12/08/2005 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you do the country side tour! Have you been in even one castle since you have been in Europe? You have to go in a castle! Great to hear from you! Enjoy your last week....
Love, Mom

 
At 12/08/2005 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have to agree with your mom. . .a castle is a definite must over there. Dublin sounds wonderful! I wish I was there! I cant wait to see you in just a few weeks!

 
At 12/08/2005 11:36 PM, Blogger Terrell said...

Take more pics! I'd want to go to Europe! And now that we've spent a big part of our fortune on passports, maybe we should just do it.

I can hardly wait to see you, Baby Doll!! Enjoy these last few days of travel. Do you suppose you've made any friends who will come to Georgia one day?

143

Pop

 
At 12/08/2005 11:49 PM, Blogger Terrell said...

Oh, yeah... Local News:

I had my first real "Civil War" rehearsal today. The cast includes Justin McGough, Jason Whitfield, Tyler Richardson, & Tiffany White and several other Shorter students. Others you know are Angela Flanagan, Peter King, & Jim Powell.

Virginia McChesney wants me to play the racist prosecutor in To Kill A Mockingbird. If the schedule for Civil War works with the TKAM schedule I may do it.

"Something Else" sang at our school today. They were great. You would have thought they were rock stars the way the kids shrieked. My girls were very enamored with Justin!

I love you, daughter dear!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home