Sunday, October 09, 2005

Leaving Madrid

I just checked out of my room at Cat´s and I´m about to head to the outdoor market that you "must see or you haven´t been to Madrid". Yesterday was a really good day. I started out with an hour trek to Park de Campo which looks a lot bigger on the map. When I (finally) got there I met an American guy named Chris who is studying abroad here from New York and was looking for the basketball courts. We were both pretty lost so I talked to him for a while we looked around and tried to dicipher the map. I basically just walked the length of the park. I went inside the Egyptian temple. It was interesting, but I was really hoping for an actual pyramid. Anyway its on top of a mountain so the view of Madrid is fantastic up there. I walked home which only took 30 minutes going a completely opposite way.
Then I went to Atocha to get my overnight train reservation for tonight (which cost me €23 but I´m rationalizing it by just counting it as a super-productive hostel stay) and didn´t have to wait AT ALL. I´m staying at Kabul hostel in Barcelona. I only have 3 nights reserved so far.
Then I went to the Museum Reina Sophia. Definitly their best peice is Picasso´s Guernicca. Also they had over a room full of his preparation sketches for it which I thought was really neat. It´s bizarre to see Picasso´s eraser marks. Also they had Dali´s which are very interesting because you can look at them forever
and still not see everything. All the details and hidden images and stuff. But they´re always a little disgusting to me. I don´t know he just throws around a lot of body parts and bugs. That was really the good stuff. I also liked the sculptures that just look like twisted metal at first but from the angles you can see very cleverly crafted out faces. Good museum. Even better I got in free.
Yesterday I learned how to do Soduko (spelling?) Those newspaper puzzles that are supposed to be "giving crosswords a run for their money" and "more addictive than crack". Well I think I should have given crack a try. I did my first one in pen and was very proud of myself.
I have much more to say but I will have to continue later. There are people waiting for the computer and technically I´m checked out.
Bebos. (Kisses... I think)

6 Comments:

At 10/09/2005 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning, Brannon. Morning for me anyway! The AJC has started carrying a daily soduku puzzle. I may try it, although I don't see how it can as much fun as a crossword!
Hope your night on the train is restful enough and the hostel in Barcelona is as good as the one in Madrid.
Hey, you won a $50 gift certificate from Barnes and Noble. I picked it up last night. Kelly said just call her in December if you want to work there after you get back. She is envious of your trip.
Love, Mom

 
At 10/09/2005 9:10 AM, Blogger Joan said...

Maybe the third time will be the charm. I have tried to comment twice before and lost it before sending. I think trying to use the codes to make the Spanish characters on an English keyboard did it, so I won't do that this time.

Anyway just going to say -- sounds like another great day in Madrid. I was wondering if you know why the hostel there is named Cat and not Gato? Kinda strange. BTW kiss is "beso" (I understand that "s" is usually pronounced like "th" in Castillian Spanish.

¡Echamas de menos de tú! (I haven't used that expression before, so the form may not be exactly right.)

Love you,
Aunt Joan

 
At 10/09/2005 10:25 AM, Blogger Brannon said...

Pictures are up up up.

 
At 10/09/2005 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brannon, I am so jealous--I have heard so much about the Museum Reina Sophia and think it has such an interesting history--I will look at your pics as soon as I can. It is one of the places I would love to see when I make it to Europe. I did not know that they had some Dali stuff there--he is bizarre and fascinating all at the same time.
I had actaully never heard of Sodukos until yesterday in Barnes and Noble, I saw all these books on display about it and looked at a few. Strange that you would mention it. Hope Barcelona is great-- and the Spanish dry spell continues! Love, Lisette

 
At 10/09/2005 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!! Your pics are great. Some would make nice postcards.

Watch it with the Polish PDA, though!

143

Pop

 
At 10/10/2005 11:51 AM, Blogger Brannon said...

I completely resent that last comment and am striking it from the record (as I think I might have given him this website...). Ha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home