Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Barcelona Day 2

Barcelona is a really cool city and more tourist inclined than Madrid. I just wish the weather wasn´t so dreary... the forcast is thunderstorms and showers for the next 5 days. I guess I´ll try my beach luck in Nice. Too bad though because I was REALLY looking forward to just relaxing for a while. Good news is there is plenty to do here. I´ve been hanging out with a girl who lives in the top bunk above me, Thurza from Australia, Perth. She is 24 and on a 6 month holiday from work. Starting a new job when she gets home(she works for a union...which is apparently very political in Australia). We decided to buy tourist bus tickets for 2 days. It´s actually been nice hitting up all the sights. All the Gaudi architecture is amazing. I think it looks like it should be an underwater city like the suburbs near King Triton´s palace in The Little Mermaid and Thurza thinks it looks like Dr. Suess. Kabul hostel is quite nice. Free internet, breakfast, and dinner. Must remember to get to dinner early from now on as it was veggie pasta last night and tonight I had to get the potato salad and pick out the hot dog. We are right off the main street Las Rambles where there are markets and venders and street performers. My favorite falafel joint is here so I´m happy. Today we took the red line full circle on top of a tour bus. You get to get off and on as you want so we saw the Gaudi park and Sanagra Familia the only still being constructed cathedral in the world. And Gaudi died in the 1940´s I think. And it should be ready in 25-30 years. Tomorrow we do the blue line. The green (beach) line is closed. Figures. But its storming anyway. I just met a guy named Chris, also from Perth, who is going to New York and staying a few days with his buddy HUGH JACKMAN in his apartment overlooking Central Park. Crazy. He works in TV and has a sister who does musical theatre professionally. Very interesting. He´s just on a 4 week break. This place would be perfect if it were sunny.

7 Comments:

At 10/11/2005 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10/11/2005 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HUGH JACKMAN!! Wolverine? The Boy From Oz? Holy Cow! Here's your chance, Bran! Start making connections. Also, I got your postcard! YAY! Amour de Paris... J'adore ma soeur. I wrote that without using the translator on the computer, so I hope it's right. I love you! Have fun in Barcelona! I'm so jealous!!!! And we should definitely go backpacking by ourselves in Europe. Mom and Dad would LOVE it. They wouldn't freak out or anything!

 
At 10/12/2005 5:02 AM, Blogger Brannon said...

Lil, I´m thinking the summer of 2008. When you turn 20 and I turn 25. That way you can work a summer so you can afford it and I´ll still be young enough to get all the student deals. Start packing.

 
At 10/12/2005 5:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shoot, It looks like I barely missed you online this morning!!

Have a great Barcelona Day!! But be careful!

I suppose it goes without saying that when my youngest says: " Mom and Dad would LOVE it. They wouldn't freak out or anything!", by "Mom and Dad" she means "Dad". And she IS speaking facetiously. :-)

I do admit to feeling extremely vulnerable when my 22 year old baby is an ocean away. And I don't even have a passport and would not be allowed to go to her rescue if the occasion arose!! At least by 2008 I'll have my passport. I hope to be above ground. And two Shaw girls together should be pretty tough!

And they are tough individually as well. Just don't be TOO trusting. Be vigilant, daughter of mine. Maybe that guy is a close personal friend of Hugh Jackman. Maybe he is. But there's also the possibility that maybe he's seen ol' Hugh in the movies and thinks as an Aussie he might impress the girls a little more if he just thinks of all his countrymen as close personal friends -- after all, Australia is the smallest continent.

I can't help myself! :-)

It sounds like Barcelona is a fascinating city!

143

Pop

 
At 10/12/2005 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brannon--3 things:
1.) reading your daily updates at work has the dual impact of really boosing my day and alternatively plunging me into a despair over my meaningless days staring at a computer.
2.) i can't believe how amazing your trip sounds thus far and how many cool people you've met--you wow me kiddo
3.) i had no idea you had cut your hair entirely OFF before europe!

miss you and will wait for the next installment of your amazing adventure.
Carlyn

 
At 10/12/2005 3:28 PM, Blogger Brannon said...

Oh Dad, have a little faith in your fellow man. He said that he KNEW Hugh Jackman. This is only mildly impressive. If he WERE Hugh Jackman that would be another thing entirely.

 
At 10/13/2005 1:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know. I could have more faith in 'em at closer range. Say, rifle range. ;-)

I can hardly wait for your updates every day!!

I like the idea of going ahead and hitting the cooler locales now, before cold weather. But like you I really don't know how early it usually gets really cold in Germany.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home